PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

How to make Quinoa Pancakes

If you haven't tried Quinoa (pronounced 'keen wah'), now is the time! Quinoa is a complete protein which contains all the essential amino acids.  I discovered it because I'm on a gluten free diet.  You can find Quinoa in the bulk food section at your grocery store and I believe more stores are carrying it on their shelves now.

This is a super simple recipe and makes approximately 4 delicious crunchy pancakes.


What you'll need:
Rice Cooker (6 cup or larger).  I find cooking Quinoa in my little red rice cooker is the easiest way to make it.  Also, you can use the rice cooker bowl to mix in all the ingredients thereby saving yourself having to wash another bowl.  


Use one cup Quinoa to two cups water (using the rice cooker measuring cup)
2 eggs
2 chopped green onions
1/4 chopped parsley
Kosher salt
Alfalfa sprouts for garnish
Olive Oil
Small pan (I use a small egg pan that I bought at Walmart which makes the perfect sized pancake)


Cook the Quinoa in the rice cooker.  When it's finished, remove the bowl and add two eggs.  Mix.  Add the green onions, parsley and a dash of kosher salt and mix together.


In your small pan, pour in a bit of olive oil and let it heat up.  I heat mine on medium.  Spoon in some of the mixture into the pan.  I make mine about a 1/2 inch thick.  Brown it on one side (usually about 2-3 minutes) then flip over and repeat.  You're done!


You can garnish the pancakes with alfalfa sprouts and also a few golden raisins if you prefer a little sweet taste.  These are yummy yummy yummy, inexpensive and good for you!

Try it!


Maize

2 comments:

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Now my dear MT friend we really have to get together one of these days. We do GF here too, my hubby has Celiacs. I will have to try this.

Esther Sunday said...

Yum. For the tum.