PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Hello Beautiful!


I've still got the woodburning itch. Everything I see these days is gettin' a design woodburned into it. I've finished some more boxes and I thought it'd be cute to include a mirror inside along with the words Hello Beautiful. I also finished a box with You're the fairest ONE of all! My daughter snagged that one.

I'm sure there's a tutorial out there somewhere on how to woodburn, but it really isn't that hard. I either draw a design on the wood or trace a picture with carbon paper underneath. Embroidery patterns are great for these. I use a stylus if I'm tracing as it transfers easier.


I also bought some blank wooden Matryoshka nesting dolls from Wurst. They've sat in my studio waiting for me to paint them. But, then I had an "AHH HA" moment and decided to woodburn them instead. I've commissioned my daughter to draw what I wanted on each one and I can't wait to show them to you when I'm finished. They're VERY cool!

Then, I saw in Blueprint magazine where they ordered some blank wooden shoes and painted them red. I was going to do the same thing, but instead of painting, yep...you guessed it....I'm gonna woodburn them. I just can't help myself. It's addictive.

I even found some small little boxes at Joann's that I've woodburned with little mice. They're so cute.

I've woodburned so many things now that I've started a Flickr set for all that I've completed.

If you're thinking about woodburning, take your 40% off coupon from Joann's or Michaels (they also take the Joann's coupon) and purchase the Creative Hotmarks tool by Walnut Hollow. Without the coupon, it costs about $27. This set comes with several tips and the one you'll use the most is the fine tip. Regular woodburning tools just don't get the job done as well as this one does.

Woodburning takes some patience. You'll have to wait for the pen to heat up and you need to take your time when you're actually woodburning. There's a touch to it. But, the results are so great. Also, these are really inexpensive gifts. The boxes cost $3.99 and the mirrors are .99 cents!

And, you can use this tool for more than just woodburning. You can make your own rubber stamps, emboss fabric and papers, cut foam board, cut stencils, seal plastic pouches, tons of stuff.

I love mine!

Now..... go forth and burn!

4 comments:

sewpink said...

Okay - you have me wanting to start a new craft. These are wonderful!

Crafter posted this the other day.

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I just ordered those dutch shoes!!! I died when you mentioned them... they would look SO beautiful woodburned! You could even woodburn and paint!!!

You are definitely crafting up some great goodies!!!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Those are sooooo cute!!

Scribbit said...

Oh my gosh, I have a set of those dolls that Wurst gave me this summer and I've let them sit, not knowing exactly what to do with them--when you burn yours please post those pictures, I want to see them.