PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

How to make paper twine from crepe paper DIY


Paper twine for wrapping packages or other craft projects can be rather costly and usually doesn't come in the color I like, so I decided to make my own.

You'll need:
Roll of crepe paper.  You can find two rolls for a buck at the $ Tree.  Wally World also has crepe paper rolls in the kraft brown color for $1.25 each.
Paper Tube
Dowel or skewer or knitting needle
Drill
Another person to hold the dowel or a clamp to hold it.


Insert a wadded up end of the crepe paper into your drill.  Make sure to tighten the drill so the paper stays in.  Insert a dowel down the middle of the crepe paper roll.  Have another person hold the dowel so you have a bit of tension while the roll spins.  You'll need some space (like a hallway) to make long lengths of twine.  Turn on the drill and start backing up and pulling lightly so the paper starts twisting while the other person holds the dowel.  Continue letting the drill rotate until the paper is tightly twisted and you've reached the length you want.

Have the other person rip the end of the crepe paper.  Loosen the drill and remove the paper.  Wrap it around the cardboard paper tube.  Repeat the steps until you've completely wound all the crepe paper up into twine.  One roll will make A LOT of paper twine.


This goes quicker than you think!  It's a bit harder to do by yourself because you need some tension on the other end, so having another person help for a few minutes is worth it.

Make a supply of different colors. 

Have fun!

19 comments:

thezenofmaking said...

Great idea! I usually use jute twine for wrapping gifts, but this would work so much better.

OnePerfectDay said...

Nice and easy!

Peggy said...

That is totally cool and I have to try it.

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

Fabulous! It sounds like fun to make and looks great too.

Pascale said...

Sounds hilarious! And I love the result! I definitely need to try this one!

Cheryl said...

This is so cute and I am in awe that you thought of using a drill. So brilliant! I tumbled you on my tumblr :)

http://noymfb.tumblr.com/post/5933345041/ingenious-use-of-a-drill-via-maize-in-montana

CraftyMummy said...

So clever! I would never have thought of doing it that way

Zoe said...

Wow this is an amazing DIY thanks for sharing it.

Zoe
http://blessedbeeapothecary.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

how cool is that - thanks for sharing!

elena nuez said...

fun and brillant idea!!!

Erika said...

So creative and easy!

Unknown said...

This... is a fabulous idea. I can just hear the sighs and see the eye-rolls that my teenage son is going to give me for coercing him into helping with project. Maybe if I let him do the drill part... :)

Claire Mercado-Obias said...

This is genius! Thanks for sharing! :)

Seaweed and Raine said...

That's so cool. What is even more cool is that I was looking at some papper twine that I had the other day, and wondering what I could make it out of!!! How timely! :)

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

What an awesome idea, I love it!!!

Kaysi
Keeping it Simple
http://craftskeepmesane.blogspot.com/

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

I'm going to be featuring this idea on my blog on Friday. Thanks for this awesome idea!!
Kaysi
http://craftskeepmesane.blogspot.com/

KnitNat said...

This is a fantastic idea! I posted your link on my blog, http://knitnatak.blogspot.com/2011/06/i-want-to-use-drill-for-this.html

Thanks for posting.

-Natasha

Anonymous said...

This is a great tip!

c.w.frosting said...

So pretty & simple to make! Plus another reason to save TP rolls =) Thanks for sharing! Am posting the photo on my wedding inspiration blog tomorrow!

-caroline
http://cwfrosting.tumblr.com